Private Flood Insurance vs. FEMA Flood Insurance

Private Flood Insurance vs. FEMA Flood Insurance

In the event of a flood, you can get coverage either via the government-run National Flood Insurance Program or through a commercial insurance company. There are benefits and drawbacks to each option.

Many homeowners are astonished to learn that flood damage is not covered by their regular homes insurance policy.

For this reason, mortgage providers often stipulate that flood insurance be purchased by those residing in particularly flood-prone areas. Even if you don’t reside in a flood zone, you should probably still get flood insurance.

In the event that you want or desire flood insurance, you can do it through either the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) run by the Federal Emergency Management Agency or a commercial insurance company. This article compares and contrasts the two to help you decide which is right for you.

Private flood insurance is a form of protection that is not provided by the federal government but rather by a private insurance company.

Because these policies are issued by private insurers, they are not subject to the regulations set out by FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This gives them more leeway in determining premiums, coverage amounts, and deductibles.

Homeowners whose properties are worth more than $250,000 may find themselves underinsured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Since private companies aren’t restricted by government regulations, they may provide far larger limitations to their customers.

There are three options available to you when shopping for private flood insurance:

Put money down on a standalone plan. The plans of some insurance companies provide coverage for floods, while others do not.
Invest in a flood insurance policy with flood coverage in excess.

If you have already reached the NFIP’s maximum coverage amount, an excess flood policy might provide you with additional coverage.

Your current property insurance policy should have a flood endorsement added to it. You may be able to get flood insurance as an endorsement to your current homeowners policy from some insurance companies.

Review offers from several of the best-rated home-insurance providers in your region.

[su_button id=”download” url=”” background=”#ef2d2e” size=”11″ wide=”yes” center=”yes” icon=”icon: arrow-right”]View Next Post[/su_button]